Then kill them with massive drug overdoses after they get home and go to the VA.
This is textbook criminally negligent homicide.
A Marine veteran died because of a series of failures at the Tomah VA Medical Center, according to a report from the VA Office of Inspector General (OIG) released Friday.
Jason Simcakoski, 35, died at the Tomah VA Medical Center
Aug. 30, 2014. The medical examiner determined the cause of death was
mixed drug toxicity.
The OIG launched an investigation into the
death of Simcakoski at the request of Wisconsin Sen. Tammy Baldwin and
Sen. Ron Johnson.
The OIG enlisted the services of a non-VA forensic toxicologist, who agreed with the medical examiner's cause of death.
investigation determined that Simcakoski died in the facility, and he
was prescribed a mix of medications with the potential to cause
respiratory depression. The report from the OIG shows that in the 72
hours before Simcakoski passed, he was given 54 doses of 13 different
Tomah VA staff said the facility is learning from this tragedy.
The Simcakoski family is just glad they finally have some closure.
accept responsibility for any action or in action that contributed to
this young man's death," said Acting Tomah VA Medical Director John
Rohrer said Simcakoski's death was avoidable but said the
Tomah VA will learn from it and provide better care to veterans from
here on out in his memory.
Simcakoski's parents said that's all they want.
takes something bad usually to make something good happen.
Unfortunately, it was our son for this, but hopefully, we'll be able to
save a lot of other veterans out there in the future from this," Jason
Simcakoski's father, Marv, said.
The OIG report found that Tomah
VA staff prescribed drugs, which, when combined, most likely led to his
death. One of the drugs is called Suboxone. The report found that the
Veteran's Health Administration requires written informed consent for
administering "hazardous" drugs. The OIG investigation did not find any
evidence of written informed consent. Both psychiatrists involved in the
ordering of the "hazardous" drug given to Jason Simcakoski acknowledged
they did not discuss the risks with him.
"You have to talk to
that patient, say, 'You know, this is the risks with this,' and get them
to sign the consent so they know what they're going into," Marv
The report said Suboxone should only be taken once a day, but Jason Simcakoski received it three times in 24 hours.
medications were prescribed by the treating psychiatrists at the
facility. The forensic toxicologist said it can't be ruled out that
Jason Simcakoski received an additional drug that was not noted in the
Fair Use Notice
Fair Use Statement: This site may contain copyrighted material, the use of which may not have been authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: “http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml” If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.